我完全給計算機迷住了
And a computer to me was still a little mysterious
當然計算機對我而言仍然有些神秘
cause it's at the other end of wire,I had never really seen the actual computer itself.
因為真正的計算機藏在電纜的另一端,而我從未見過
I think I got towards computers after that, saw the inside,
打那以后我總想著計算機
and then I was part of this school byHewlett-Packard.
后來我在惠普附近的學校讀書
When I was 12, I called up Bill Hewlett who lived in Hewlett-Packard at the time.
12歲時我打電話給Bill Hewlett,他當時住在惠普
And again it dazed me...
又是一次奇妙的經歷
But there was no such thing as unlistedtelephone number then,
當時所有的電話號碼都印在號碼簿里
so I can just look into the book and look his name up.
只要翻電話號碼簿,就能查到他的電話
And he answered the phone, and I saidHi, My name is Steve Jobs.
他接了電話,我說我叫Steve Jobs
You don't know me, but I'm 12 years old, and I'm building a frequency counter, and I'd like some spare parts.
你不認識我,我12歲,打算做頻率計數(shù)器,需要些零件
And so he talked to me for about 20 minutes,
我們聊了大概20分鐘
I will never forget as long as I live, he gave me the parts, but he also gave me a job working in Hewlett-Packard that summer.
我永遠記得他不但給了零件,還邀請我夏天去惠普打工
And I was 12 years old, and that really made a remarkable influence on me.
我才12歲,這件事對我產生了不可思議的影響
Hewlett-Packardwas really the only company I'd ever seen in my life at that age.
惠普是我見過的第一家公司
And it forms my view of what a company was and how well they treated their employees.
它讓我懂得了什么是公司,如何善待員工
You know, at that time, I mean they didn't know about cholesterol back then.
那時還沒有膽固醇偏高一說
And then at that time they used to bring a big car full of donuts and coffee out at 10 o'clock every morning,
每天上午十點公司拖來滿滿一卡車的甜面圈和咖啡
and everyone take a coffee and have a donut break, just little things like that.
大家停下工作喝杯咖啡,品嘗甜面圈
It was clear that the company recognized its true values was its employees.
很明顯惠普明白公司真正的價值在于員工