小王子所訪問的下一個星球上住著一個酒鬼。
This was a very short visit, but it plunged the little prince into deep dejection.
訪問時間非常短,可是它卻使小王子非常憂傷。
"What are you doing there?" he said to the tippler, whom he found settled down in silence before a collection of empty bottles and also a collection of full bottles.
“你在干什么?”小王子問酒鬼,這個酒鬼默默地坐在那里,面前有一堆酒瓶子,有的裝著酒,有的是空的。
"I am drinking," replied the tippler, with a lugubrious air.
“我喝酒。”他陰沉憂郁地回答道。
"Why are you drinking?" demanded the little prince.
“你為什么喝酒?”小王子問道。
"So that I may forget," replied the tippler.
“為了忘卻。”酒鬼回答。
"Forget what?" inquired the little prince, who already was sorry for him.
小王子已經(jīng)有些可憐酒鬼。他問道:“忘卻什么呢?”
"Forget that I am ashamed," the tippler confessed, hanging his head.
酒鬼垂下腦袋坦白道:“為了忘卻我的羞愧。”
"Ashamed of what?" insisted the little prince, who wanted to help him.
“你羞愧什么呢?”小王子很想救助他。
"Ashamed of drinking!" The tippler brought his speech to an end, and shut himself up in an impregnable silence.
“我羞愧我喝酒。”酒鬼說完以后就再也不開口了。
And the little prince went away, puzzled.
小王子迷惑不解地離開了。
"The grown-ups are certainly very, very odd," he said to himself, as he continued on his journey.
在旅途中,他自言自語地說道:“這些大人確實真叫怪。”