當你對大人們講起你的一個新朋友時,他們從來不向你提出實質性的問題。
They never say to you, "What does his voice sound like?"
他們從來不講:“他說話聲音如何啊?”
What games does he love best? Does he collect butterflies?
他喜愛什么樣的游戲啊?他是否收集蝴蝶標本呀?
Instead, they demand: "How old is he? How many brothers has he?"
他們卻問你:“他多大年紀呀?弟兄幾個呀?”
How much does he weigh? How much money does his father make?
體重多少呀?他父親掙多少錢呀?
Only from these figures do they think they have learned anything about him.
他們以為這樣才算了解朋友。
If you were to say to the grown-ups: "I saw a beautiful house made of rosy brick, with geraniums in the windows and doves on the roof,"
如果你對大人們說:“我看到一幢用玫瑰色的磚蓋成的漂亮的房子,它的窗戶上有天竺葵,屋頂上還有鴿子…”
they would not be able to get any idea of that house at all.
他們怎么也想象不出這種房子有多么好。
You would have to say to them: "I saw a house that cost $20,000."
必須對他們說:“我看見了一幢價值十萬法郎的房子。”
Then they would exclaim: "Oh, what a pretty house that is!"
那么他們就驚叫道:“多么漂亮的房子啊!”
Just so, you might say to them: "The proof that the little prince existed is that he was charming."
要是你對他們說:“小王子存在的證據就是他非常漂亮。
that he laughed, and that he was looking for a sheep.
他笑著,想要一只羊。
If anybody wants a sheep, that is a proof that he exists.
他想要一只小羊,這就證明他的存在。
And what good would it do to tell them that?
告訴他們,將會帶來什么好處呢?
They would shrug their shoulders, and treat you like a child.
他們一定會聳聳肩膀,把你當作孩子看待!
But if you said to them: "The planet he came from is Asteroid B-612,"
但是,如果你對他們說:“小王子來自的星球就是小行星B612”,
then they would be convinced, and leave you in peace from their questions.
那么他們就十分信服,他們就不會提出一大堆問題來和你糾纏。
They are like that.
他們就是這樣的。
One must not hold it against them.
不要介懷。
Children should always show great forbearance toward grown-up people.
小孩子們對大人們應該寬厚些,不要埋怨他們。
But certainly, for us who understand life, figures are a matter of indifference.
當然,對我們懂得生活的人來說,我們才不在乎那些編號呢!
I should have liked to begin this story in the fashion of the fairy-tales.
我真愿意象講神話那樣來開始這個故事。
I should have like to say: "Once upon a time there was a little prince who lived on a planet that was scarcely any bigger than himself, and who had need of a sheep..."
我真想這樣說:“從前呀,有一個小王子,他住在一個和他身體差不多大的星球上,他希望有一個朋友…”
To those who understand life, that would have given a much greater air of truth to my story.
對懂得生活的人來說,這樣說就顯得真實。
For I do not want any one to read my book carelessly.
我可不喜歡人們輕率地讀我的書。
I have suffered too much grief in setting down these memories.
我在講述這些往事時心情是很難過的。