I RUSHED UP onto the platform.
我飛跑到平臺上去。
Yes, open sea!
是的!自由通行的海。
Barely a few sparse floes, some moving icebergs; a sea stretching into the distance; hosts of birds in the air and myriads of fish under the waters, which varied from intense blue to olive green depending on the depth.
近邊只有一些散亂的冰塊和浮為的冰層,遠方一片大海,空中是群鳥世界;水底下有千億萬的魚類,水的顏色隨深淺的不同,現(xiàn)出從深濃的靛藍至橄覽的青綠。
The thermometer marked 3 degrees centigrade.
溫度表指著攝氏三度。
It was as if a comparative springtime had been locked up behind that Ice Bank, whose distant masses were outlined on the northern horizon.
對被關在這冰山后的天氣來說,這好像是相對的春天,遠遠的冰群在北方天際露出面影。
Are we at the pole? I asked the captain, my heart pounding.
我們是在南極嗎?我問船長,同時心跳動不止。
I've no idea, he answered me. At noon we'll fix our position.
我不知道。他回答我。中午我沒來測量方位。
But will the sun show through this mist?
可是,太陽能穿過這些云霧嗎?
I said, staring at the grayish sky.
我眼看著灰色的天空說。
No matter how faintly it shines, it will be enough for me, the captain replied.
只要露出一點就夠了。船長回答。
To the south, ten miles from the Nautilus, a solitary islet rose to a height of 200 meters.
距諾第留斯號南方二海里,有一座孤立的小島浮出,高兩百米。
We proceeded toward it, but cautiously, because this sea could have been strewn with reefs.
我們向小島走去,但很小心,因為這海中可能各處都有暗礁。
In an hour we had reached the islet.
一小時后,我們到達小島。
Two hours later we had completed a full circle around it.
又過兩小時,我們就繞了小島一周。
It measured four to five miles in circumference.
它周圍四海里至五海里長。
A narrow channel separated it from a considerable shore, perhaps a continent whose limits we couldn't see.
一條狹窄水道把它跟一片廣大陸地分開,或者這是一個大洲,我們還不能望見它的界限。