Even so, captain, I said, there is one major similarity between Dumont d'Urville's sloops of war and the Nautilus.
不過,船長,我說,杜蒙·居維爾的舊式海船跟諾第留斯號有一點相似的地方。
What's that, sir?
先生,哪一點呢?
Like them, the Nautilus has run aground!
就是諾第留斯號跟它們一樣擱淺了!
The Nautilus is not aground, sir, Captain Nemo replied icily. The Nautilus was built to rest on the ocean floor, and I don't need to undertake the arduous labors, the maneuvers d'Urville had to attempt in order to float off his sloops of war. The Zealous and the new Astrolabe wellnigh perished, but my Nautilus is in no danger. Tomorrow, on the day stated and at the hour stated, the tide will peacefully lift it off, and it will resume its navigating through the seas.
諾第留斯號并沒有擱淺,先生,尼摩船長冷淡地回答我,諾第留斯號是歇在侮床上的,居維爾要他的船脫離開礁石,重回海上所必須做的艱苦工程,困難動作,我根本不用做。渾天儀號和熱心女號幾乎沉沒了,但我的諾第留斯號一點也沒有危險。明天,在我指定的日子,指定的、時刻,潮水把它平安地浮起來,它又穿洋過海地在水中航行了。
Captain, I said, I don't doubt-
船長,我說 我并不懷疑…
Tomorrow, Captain Nemo added, standing up, tomorrow at 2:40 in the afternoon, the Nautilus will float off and exit the Torres Strait undamaged.
明天,尼摩船長又說,同時他站起來,明天,下午兩點四十分,諾第留斯號將浮在海上,毫無損傷地離開托列斯海峽。
Pronouncing these words in an extremely sharp tone, Captain Nemo gave me a curt bow. This was my dismissal, and I reentered my stateroom.
用干脆的語氣說完了這些話后,尼摩船長輕輕地點點頭。這是讓我走開的表示,我就回我房中來。
There I found Conseil, who wanted to know the upshot of my interview with the captain.
我見康塞爾在房中,他想知道我跟船長會談的結(jié)果。
My boy, I replied, when I expressed the belief that these Papuan natives were a threat to his Nautilus, the captain answered me with great irony. So I've just one thing to say to you: have faith in him and sleep in peace.
老實人,我回答,當我覺得他的諾第留斯號是要受巴布亞上人的嚴重威脅的時候,船長帶著十足嘲諷的神氣回答了我。所以我只跟你說一點,就是:相信他,安心睡覺。
Master has no need for my services?
先生沒有事需要我做嗎?
No, my friend. What's Ned Land up to?
沒有,老實人。尼德·蘭干什么去了?
Begging master's indulgence, Conseil replied, but our friend Ned is concocting a kangaroo pie that will be the eighth wonder!
請先生原諒我,康塞爾回答,尼德好朋友正在做袋:鼠肉餅,這將成為美味的珍品呢!