“什么?”
"Your hands," he reminded me. I looked down at mypalms, at the almost-healed scrapes across the heelsof my hands. His eyes missed nothing.
“你的手。”他提醒我。我低下頭看自己的掌心,看見了手腕上那些快愈合了的擦傷。什么都逃不過他的眼睛。
"I fell," I sighed.
“我摔倒了。”我嘆了口氣。
"That's what I thought." His lips curved up at the corners. "I suppose, being you, it could havebeen much worse — and that possibility tormented me the entire time I was away. It was a verylong three days. I really got on Emmett's nerves." He smiled ruefully at me.
“這正是我想到的。”他的嘴角彎了起來。“我料想著,就你來說,情況本來可能會更糟——而這正是在我離開的整個時間里一直折磨著我的痛苦的根源。這真是非常漫長的。艾美特幾乎被我煩死了。”他慘兮兮地向我笑著。
"Three days? Didn't you just get back today?"
“三天?你不是昨天才回來嗎?”
"No, we got back Sunday."
“不,我們星期天就回來了。”
"Then why weren't any of you in school?" I was frustrated, almost angry as I thought of howmuch disappointment I had suffered because of his absence.
“那為什么你們都不回學校呢?”我很沮喪,一想到因為他不在我所經(jīng)受的那么多的失望的折磨,我就憤憤不平。
"Well, you asked if the sun hurt me, and it doesn't. But I can't go out in the sunlight — at least,not where anyone can see."
“嗯,你問過我陽光會不會傷害我,當然不會。但我不能走到太陽底下——至少,不能在任何會被別人看見的場合。”
"Why?"
“為什么?”
"I'll show you sometime," he promised.
“我會找個時間向你展示的。”他保證道。
I thought about it for a moment.
我思考了片刻。
"You might have called me," I decided.
“你應該打電話給我的。”我下定決心說道。
He was puzzled. "But I knew you were safe."
他很困惑。“但我知道你很安全。”
"But I didn't know where you were. I —" I hesitated, dropping my eyes.
“可我不知道你在哪里。我——”我遲疑著,垂下了眼簾。
"What?" His velvety voice was compelling.
“什么?”他天鵝絨般的聲音催促著。
"I didn't like it. Not seeing you. It makes me anxious, too." I blushed to be saying this out loud.
“我不喜歡這樣。見不到你。這也讓我很不安。”這樣大聲地說出來讓我羞紅了臉。
He was quiet. I glanced up, apprehensive, and saw that his expression was pained.
他很安靜。我惴惴不安地向他瞥了一眼,看見了他痛苦的神情。
"Ah," he groaned quietly. "This is wrong."
“啊,”他低聲呻吟道。“這是錯誤的。”
I couldn't understand his response.
我不能理解他的反應。“我說了什么?”