寫給至親至愛的丈夫
To My Dear and Loving Husband
安·布雷茲特里特
Anne Bradstreet
安·布雷茲特里特(Anne Bradstreet,1612-1672),北美殖民地時期的一位女詩人。她的詩在十八世紀曾得到廣泛贊譽,但后來卻失去了讀者,受到冷落。今天的美國文學史恢復了她的重要地位,認為她的作品是新英格蘭詩歌的寶貴遺產。作為女性詩人,她無疑是狄金森之前美國詩壇中的佼佼者,對美國詩歌的發(fā)展起到重要作用。她是清教徒,詩中有很濃的宗教氣息,但也表現出對生活的熱愛,對愛情的忠貞和對家庭的責任,感情熱烈而真摯,獨具感染力。1650年出版的《最近在美洲出現的詩神》是北美人寫的第一本詩集。
如果兩人曾合一,準是我和你。
If ever two were one, then surely we,
如果有男人受妻子深愛,準是你。
If ever man were loved by wife, then thee;
如果有妻子因男人而幸福快樂,
If ever wife was happy in a man,
那么女人們,看誰能比得過我。
Compare with me, ye women, if you can.
我珍視你的愛,勝過一礦礦黃金,
I prize thy love more than whole mines of gold
勝過東方的一切異寶奇珍。
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
我的愛如此熾烈,江水澆不滅,
My love is such that rivers cannot quench ,
也不是因為你愛我,我要酬謝。
Nor ought but love from thee, give recompense .
你的愛如此深廣,我無從報償,
Thy love is such I can no way repay,
我祈禱上蒼給予你千百種獎賞。
The heavens reward thee manifold , I pray.
當我們活著,我們就堅持愛情,
Then while we live, in love let's so persevere
這樣,當我們不再活,就得到永生。
That when we live no more, we may live ever.