Hello darkness my old friend. 嘿,黑夜啊。我的老友。
I've come to talk with you again. 我又來找你聊天了。
Because a vision softly creeping. 因為有個幻影輕輕爬進來。
Left its seeds while I was sleeping. 趁我熟睡時暗暗播下了種子。
And the vision that was planted in my brain. 使這個幻影深植入我腦海中。
Still remains. 縈繞盤旋不去。
Within the sound of silence ! 在寂靜無聲的此刻!
In restless dreams I walked alone. 在無數不平靜的夢中我煢煢獨行。
Narrow streets of cobble stone. 行走在鵝卵石鋪成狹窄街道上。
Neath the halo of a street lamp. 頭頂上街燈的光暈將我籠罩。
I turned my collar to the cold and damp. 我豎起衣領以抗御這濕冷的夜。
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light. 當我的眼睛為刺眼的霓虹燈閃爍所迷時。 That split the night. 霓虹燈的閃爍也劃破了夜空。
And touched the sound of silence. 打破了黑夜的沉靜。
And in the naked light I saw. 在無遮燈照耀下我看到
Ten thousand people maybe more. 人頭攢動
People talking without speaking. 有的人在說著無聊的話語。
People hearing without listening. 有的人在漫不經心的聽著別人說。
People writing songs that voices never share. 有的人在寫著那些從不會被傳唱的歌。 And no one dare. 但沒有人敢于去
Disturb the sound of silence. 打破這份靜默。
"Fools" said I, "You do not know. 我說道:愚蠢的人啊,你們不知道
Silence like a cancer grows. 靜默會像癌細胞那樣擴散。
Hear my words that I might teach you. 聽我的話,我才能教導你。
Take my arms that I might reach you. 抓緊我的手,我才能救你。
But my words like silent rain-drops fell. 但是我的話卻如寂靜無聲的雨點落下。
And echoed in the wells of silence. 徒然回響在沉靜的井里。
And the people bowed and prayed. 人們仍然頂禮膜拜著。
To the neon God they made. 自己塑造的霓虹燈神(文明)。
And the sign flashed out its warning. 霓虹燈(文明)以它閃爍的文字顯出其預兆。
In the words that it was forming. (文明)警告的話語漸漸成型。
And the sign said "The words of the prophets. 預兆顯示:先知的話語
Are written on the subway walls and tenement halls. 已被寫在地鐵的墻上以及出租公寓的走廊上。 And whispered in the sounds of silence. 也在無聲的靜默中被輕聲傳誦。