If We Must Die
若我們必須犧牲
Claude McKay
克勞德 麥凱
If we must die, let it not be like hogs
若我們必須犧牲,不要像豬一般死去
Hunted and penned in an inglorious spot,
被囚禁在一個不體面的處所,
While round us bark the mad and hungry dogs
瘋狂而饑餓的狗在我們周圍吠叫
Making their mock at our accursed lot;
嘲笑我們不幸的命運;
If we must die, O let us nobly die,
若我們必須犧牲,啊 讓我體面的死去
So that our precious blood may not be shed
這樣我們高貴的血不會白流
In vain; then even the monsters we defy
那時,就算是我們所蔑視的妖魔們,
Shall be constrained to honour us though dead.
也會在我們死后不得不表示尊敬。
O kinsmen! We must meet the common foe!
啊 同胞們!我們有著共同的敵人!
Though far outnumbered let us show us brave,
盡管敵人數(shù)目眾多,讓我們鼓起勇氣來,
And for their thousand blows deal one death blow!
把對他們的萬千控訴匯成致命一擊!
What though before us lies the open grave?
就算在我們面前敞開墳墓又如何?
Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack.
像真的猛士一般直面慘淡的人生
pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!
被逼到墻角等死不如奮起一搏!