'Thank God,' he cried. 'You'll do. Come! Come!' " 'What then?' I asked."
'謝天謝地!'他喊道,'有了你就行了。來!來!'"'這是怎么回事?'我問道。
'Come, man, come, only three minutes, or it won't be legal.'
'來,老兄,來,只要三分鐘就夠了,要不然就不合法了。'
"I was half-dragged up to the altar,
"我是被半拖半拉上圣壇的。
and before I knew where I was I found myself mumbling responses which were whispered in my ear,
在我還沒弄清楚我站在什么地方以前,我發(fā)覺我自己正喃喃地對我耳邊低低的話語作出答復,
and vouching for things of which I knew nothing,
為我一無所知的事作證。
and generally assisting in the secure tying up of Irene Adler, spinster, to Godfrey Norton, bachelor.
總的來說是幫助把未婚女子艾琳·艾德勒和單身漢戈弗雷·諾頓緊密地結合在一起。
It was all done in an instant, and there was the gentleman thanking me on the one side and the lady on the other,
這一切是在很短的時間內完成的。接著男方在我這一邊對我表示感謝,女方在我那一邊對我表示感謝,
while the clergyman beamed on me in front.
而牧師則在我對面向我微笑。
It was the most preposterous position in which I ever found myself in my life,
這是我有生以來從未碰到過的最荒謬絕倫的場面。
and it was the thought of it that started me laughing just now.
剛才我一想到這件事就禁不住大笑起來了。
It seems that there had been some informality about their license,
看來他們的結婚證明有點不夠合法,
that the clergyman absolutely refused to marry them without a witness of some sort,
牧師在沒有某些證人的情況下,斷然拒絕給他們證婚,
and that my lucky appearance saved the bridegroom from having to sally out into the streets in search of a best man.
幸而有我出現使得新郎不至于必須跑到大街上去找一位儐相。
The bride gave me a sovereign, and I mean to wear it on my watch-chain in memory of the occasion."
新娘賞給我一鎊金幣。我打算把它拴在表鏈上戴著,以紀念這次的際遇。"
"This is a very unexpected turn of affairs," said I; "and what then?"
"這真是一件完全出乎意料的事,"我說道,"后來又怎樣呢?"