I made a strong pull, and brought up a tangle of weeds.
我猛地提起魚竿,拽出的卻是纏成一團的水草。
Again and again I cast out my line with aching arms, and drew it back empty.
再來一次,我總是滿懷希望地拋出釣線,卻還是一無所獲,胳膊亦隱約疼痛起來。
I looked at my uncle appealingly. "Try once more," he said; "we fishermen must have patience."
我求救地看了看叔叔,“再試試,”他對我說,“釣魚的人需要格外耐心。”
Suddenly something tugged at my line, and swept off with it into deep water.
忽然,什么東西扯住了魚線,猛地往下一拽,
Jerking it up, I saw a fine pickerel wriggling in the sun.
我扯住魚竿拉起一看,一條漂亮的狗魚在陽光下掙扎扭動,
"Uncle!" I CRIed, looking back in uncontrollable excitement, "I've got a fish!" "Not yet," said my uncle.
“叔叔!”我回頭大聲叫道,抑制不住滿心激動。“我釣到了一條大魚!”“哎,”
As he spoke there was a plash in the water; I caught the arrowy gleam of a scared fish shooting into the middle of the stream, my hook hung empty from the line.
叔叔的話未說完,剎那間,水面濺起浪花,只見一道箭矢般銀光劃過,那條大魚躍入水中,我手握的那柄釣竿上,只留下空空的餌鉤,嗚呼!
I had lost my prize.
到手的大狗魚就這樣在我的眼皮下溜走了。
We are apt to speak of the sorrows of childhood as trifles in comparison with those of grown-up people;
我們極易談及孩提時代的懊惱,與成人那些痛苦比較,
but we may depend upon it the young folks don't agree with us.
盡管雞毛蒜皮,不值一提,但總會耿耿于懷。
Our griefs, modified and restrained by reason, experience,and self-respect, keep the proprieties, and, if possible, avoid a scene;
當然,年輕人看來每每不以為然。因理性、經驗、甚至自尊改變并抑制,可能的話,我們或許不再百般糾結悶悶不樂。
but the sorrow of childhood, unreasoning and all-absorbing, is a complete abandonment to the passion.
童年痛苦,將會演變成一種安之若素的面對,然而,孩提時代缺乏理性、沉湎痛苦難以自拔,卻是任由性情恣意放縱。
The doll's nose is broken, and the world breaks up with it;
洋娃娃鼻子破了,整個世界隨之打碎;
the marble rolls out of sight, and the solid globe rolls off with the marble.
彈子球滾不見了,整個天地接著地陷天塌。