and they put them together and it makes a thick liquid that you can put on a piece of toast. 人們把它們放在一起,這樣就能做出放在吐司片上的濃稠的液體糖。
We would say we spread the jam on the toast. 我們會說我們把果醬涂在吐司上。
We use that verb spread, "spread," to talk about putting butter or putting jam on a piece of toast, usually with a knife. 我們用那個動詞涂(spread)來表示把黃油或果醬放在一塊吐司上,一般是借助小刀。
When I am done with my breakfast, "I rinse off my breakfast dishes." 當我吃完早餐的時候,“我沖洗吃早餐時用的餐具”
To rinse means to clean something with water. 沖洗的意思是用水清洗某物。
To rinse off is the verb. You could just say, "I rinse my breakfast dishes," “Rinse off”也是動詞。你完全可以說,“I rinse my breakfast dishes,”,
but we like those two word verbs in English and so we would probably say, "rinse off my breakfast dishes." 但在英語里我們喜歡用那些兩個字組成的動詞,所以我們可能會說,“rinse off my breakfast dishes."
I rinse them off in the sink, and I "put them in the dishwasher.” 我在水槽中沖洗它們,然后我“把它們放到洗碗機里。”
The dishwasher, "dishwasher," is a machine that cleans the dishes. 洗碗機(dishwasher)是清洗餐具的機器。
Some families have dishwashers. 有些家庭擁有洗碗機。
The joke that we make sometimes in English is that someone— when someone says, "Oh, do you have a dishwasher," 在英語中我們有時會開的玩笑是——當某人說,“噢,你有洗碗機嗎,”
and you say, "Yes, I am the dishwasher," which means you don't have a machine that washes your dishes; you wash your dishes by yourself. 你會說“有啊,我就是洗碗機呀,”你的意思是你沒有用來清洗餐具的機器;你要自己清洗餐具。
We would say you wash them by hand. 我們會說你是用手清洗它們。