"I will eat half, and take the other half to her," said he at last; and he divided them into two heaps.
“我就吃一半,把另一半留給她。”他最后說道;接著,他把草莓分成了兩堆。
But each heap looked so small, that he put them together again.
但是,每一堆看上去都那么小,于是,他又把它們合起來。
"I will only taste one," thought he;
“我只嘗一個吧,”他心里又想;
but, as he again lifted it to his mouth, he saw that he had taken the finest, and he put it back.
但是,當他再次拿起草莓放到嘴邊時,看到自己拿起了那個最好的草莓,于是他又放了回去。
"I will keep them all for her," said he, and he covered them up nicely, till he should go home.
“我還是把草莓都留給她吧,”他一邊說著,一邊細心地蓋好所有草莓,一直留到該回家的時候。
When the sun was beginning to sink, George set out for home.
太陽開始下沉?xí)r,喬治決定要回家了。
How happy he felt, then, that he had all his strawberries for his sick mother.
他心里多么高興呀,將所有的草莓都留給了生病的媽媽。
The nearer he came to his home, the less he wished to taste them.
越是靠近自己的家,他就越不想去品嘗它們了。
Just as he had thrown down his wood, he heard his mother's faint voice calling him from the next room.
剛剛放下揀來的木頭,他就聽到隔壁房間里傳來了媽媽呼喚他的虛弱聲音。
Is that you, George?
是你嗎,喬治?
I am glad you have come, for I am thirsty, and am longing for some tea.
我很高興你回來了,我太渴了,真想能喝點茶。
George ran in to her, and joyfully offered his wild strawberries.
喬治立刻跑向她,歡快地把自己采來的野生草莓給媽媽。
"And you saved them for your sick mother, did you?" said she, laying her hand fondly on his head, while the tears stood in her eyes.
“你把草莓都留給了生病的媽媽,是嗎?”她說,充滿憐愛地將手放到喬治頭上,眼中噙滿了淚水。
God will bless you for all this, my child.
上帝會保佑你的,我的孩子。
Could the eating of the strawberries have given George half the happiness he felt at this moment?
自己吃掉草莓,能給喬治帶來此刻一半的快樂嗎?